CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day - Celebration of the Working Man/Woman/Child

I learn something new things everyday - history is something I learn as the interest arises. This morning, I popped on the net after feeding the brood I had milling around and the first thing I saw was this article on the origin of Labor Day.

Right here in Illinois - Pullman, back in 1893, workers [men-women-children]walked off the job in protest and other unions followed. They wanted higher pay and lower rent which had been cut and raised due to hard times. Sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Well, President Grover Cleveland declared their strike illegal and used the military to break the strike and their spirits.

This ruined all chances of Cleveland being re-elected, but congress being on the side of the workers rushed to declare a national holiday for them. A year later, 1894, congress set in stone that the first Monday in September be Labor Day.
http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/92981?fp=1

lol - every few years, I double celebrate the day. My youngest son was born on Labor Day back in 1993.

Happy Labor Day!

Bekki

5 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Bekki, thanks. I never knew the exact history behind Labor Day.

Bekki Lynn said...

I don't know what I really thought Labor Day was all about. Aside from a time to get together with friends and family to party and eat.

It seemed like a bookend to the backside of summer with the Memorial weekend the front end. lol

Serena Shay said...

Ouch, no doubt Cleveland's chances for re-election were trashed. He basically tells workers their lives must continue to be difficult, but hey here's one day off, hope that makes it all better.

Very interesting blog, Bekki! Thanks :)

Jane Richardson said...

I always wondered where the concept of Labor Day came from. What a story. Cleveland certainly scuppered his chanced with that one, didn't he?

Lindsay Townsend said...

Fascinating, Bekki - I never knew that. How excellent!