CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Why I Am Thankful...


When I lay my head down at night, exhausted from the stress of everyday life and wondering just how much more I can take, I play a game with myself. It's called the I'm Thankful game and it goes like this...

*Though my home may be messy, I'm Thankful for the four walls that surround me...some don't have that.
*Though I fought with my nine year old today, I'm Thankful to be looking into her beautiful green eyes to do it...I almost couldn't.
*Though we had Macaroni and Cheese with Hot Dogs and a vegetable for dinner last night, I'm Thankful I was able to put at least that in my child's stomach...some parents can't.
*Though the years have not always been kind to this middle aged body, I'm Thankful to still be in love and loved by a wonderful partner...Some aren't so lucky.

My list goes on and on, but I think these four explain it well enough. While my problems seem overwhelming at times, I've found it's important to take a step back and regroup.

Things can be worse. And right at this moment, for somebody else out there they probably are.

As I've told my daughter on many occasions, it's easy to see the bad rather than the good. The bad things tend to jump into our path and get bigger and harder to go around, but not insurmountable. In the end though, finding the good things this life has to offer proves to be much more rewarding.

*Friends-there to encourage and support your desires.
*Love-in any form that finds you, from Parents or Child, lover or spouse right on down the the big brown puppy dog eyes that follow you around the room.
*Help make the good things-A can or two dropped off at the local food shelf, will bring a meal to another's table. Winter jackets that have been outgrown, will warm another child. A toy or two will make one child's Christmas special.
*A simple smile to those you meet along the way, may make another's day.

As I sit down this afternoon with my family surrounding me to share in the feast I will turn my eyes inward, as is my own private tradition, and remember why I am lucky, I will remember what makes me happy, I will remember where I need to do more, but mostly I will remember ...Why I Am Thankful.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, everyone!!

8 comments:

Lindsay Townsend said...

Serena, your blog says it all. Thank you so much.

May your Thanksgiving be happy and safe for you and your family.

Lindsay ((())) ((())) xx

Serena Shay said...

Thank you, Lindsay. And a safe and happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Mona Risk said...

What a beautiful post. May you always be content, happy and thankfull.

Serena Shay said...

Thank you, Mona. And you as well! Have a beautiful day. :)

Bekki Lynn said...

Very touching and beautifule, Serena.

You're so right in being thankful for what we have despite the things that have happened. There's a bright side if we look for it.

Thanks for sharing and reminding us, Serena.

Savanna Kougar said...

Serena, I am moved beyond words. Thank you for posting about what truly matters in this life on a day when many forget what does truly matter.
All blessings!

Serena Shay said...

Thanks Bekki, I love looking for the silver lining, even in the smallest things.
Hope your Holiday was wonderful.

Serena Shay said...

((hugs)) Thank you, Savanna.