CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Time for a roaring fire

After a rainy and recession-dampened Bonfire Night in my neck of the woods, I began to think wistfully of enormous medieval fireplaces, logs cut from the woods by peasants in grubby tunics, the warm glow of a winter fire. Then I thought of a poem about firewood from the 1930s: '..Apple wood will scent your room,/Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom...'

Then I found this picture, February from the Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry, which says it all, from the woodcutter in the top right to the fire in the bottom left, blissfully enjoyed by one well-mannered lady in full garb and two pretty unlaced individuals for whom underwear is an optional extra. Ah, the warmth of the open fire....

Lindsay
http://www.lindsaytownsend.net

3 comments:

Kathleen O said...

Interesting way to look at a roaring fire..
Sorry you did not get a great night for Guy Fox night.. My landlords were looking forward to there first Guy fox night too.. They are in England on Vacation.. OH well I always say it is the people not the event that makes a party...

Lindsay Townsend said...

Hi Kathleen, sorry your landlords had a disappointing Guy Fawkes' night. Hope they have a good holiday otherwise.

I agree with you about it being the people that makes a party!

Savanna Kougar said...

Lindsay, yes, the warmth of the open fire... there's nothing like it.
I love the picture and the poem.

Definitely the people who make the party...