CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 20, 2009

Life's Not So Bad After All



Isn't it wonderful when a man suddenly realizes the life he has isn't so bad after all? I think men, most of all, feel a failure when their comfort zone is threatened. And, like George, go through a spell when they feel like they shouldn't have been born, or worse, don't deserve the loving wife and beautiful kids. Hard times are emotionally draining.


It's A Wonderful Life is one of my favorite movies. I never tire of it. Poor George who constantly has to forgo his dreams. Do you think in the end he really felt like he'd been cheated? I don't. His brother said it all - he's the richest man in Bedford Falls. We all should be so lucky to have people who will give all they have to help a friend.


We often forget what is really important when life knocks you in the gut and you can't breathe. I know I've been guilty of it this year with losing so many people in my life.


I have so much to be thankful for.


All the comforts of having a roof over my head, food on the table and clothes on my back can bring. A family that is fairly healthy and happy.


What ails we have don't slow us down, much.


I have a husband who loves me no matter what stupid choices I make. He just seems look beyond them. Sometimes I wonder why.


I've made some wonderful author friends who've been supportive not only in my writing, but with my personal ups and downs.


My book sales are fairly consistant and I have a new book coming out next year as well as three short stories in anthologies.


I have a wonderful relationship with our pets, and our wild pets. They give me so much pleasure. Even Faith, though she passed away two weeks ago today. I have pictures and memories that will always keep her in my heart.


I have the best mother-in-law; she is one of my dearest friends.


The simpliest things tickle me. 'coz, I'm a pot hole...sooooo, k bye' never fails to crack me up.


Thanksgiving day, I'll be spending with my husband's side of the family and our immediate family. Usually around 22 of us, sometimes more. We'll have all the traditional foods: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy, candied yams, oyster dressing, sage dressing, green casserole. I have a dish which I'm required to bring or I'm not allowed entry. lol It's quite simple and a recipe given to me from an aunt when I was in junior high. What the original name of it is, I have no idea, but my family calls it 'Fluff'; very simply it contains three ingredients.


Strawberry Banana Cottage Whip [my name for it]


large container of small curd cottage cheese

small container of cool whip

large box of strawberry/banana jello


Thaw the cool whip, then add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well; cover and refrigerate. Best to make the night before.


Despite my aunt's insistent that you can only use orange jello for this, I've tried every flavor of jello with it and it's all good. My favorite is the orange followed by lemon and lime. The family prefers the strawberry/banana.


There will also be specialty items my oldest niece will make for her sister. Desserts, items made with soy and gluten free. Last year, she made an apple crisp for her that was amazing.


And we all must watch Grandma Ann. If we don't, she'll be pigging out on the sweets when our backs are turned; quite comical the way the sneaks like a small child. She's diabetic.


Oh, and the horses -- they go crazy when the kids show up. It's extra treat time. You think my pets are spoiled. It runs in the family.


I love the holidays. I do don't much of the cooking for Thanksgiving. I fix the 'Fluff', candied yams and sage stuffing. About the only thing I do different with my stuffing is I don't use dried bread -- it's so much better not to. Christmas is where I cook up a storm. I've found some new delish recipes to try this year. I'll share those as we near the best day of the year.


Today is the kickoff for the Christmas season in our little community. All sorts of goings on downtown; Christmas parade and the lighting of the trees; the local florist, which is quite a large place, has it's Grand Christmas Opening -- I'll be going with mom. I'm quite pumped.


I wish you all a very happy and fulfilling Thanksgiving.



Bekki

10 comments:

Lindsay Townsend said...

Wonderful post, Bekki!

Your family ThanksGiving sounds perfect and your dessert looks yummy to me.

Here's wishing you a peaceful and happy holiday.

Lindsay xx

Bekki Lynn said...

Thanks, Lindsay!

I do have a wonderful family and family gatherings are so much fun. My family is so diverse, and in spite of it, we fit so well together. Never ceases to amaze me.

So much to be thankful for.

Kaye Manro said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Bekki.

Linda Banche said...

Sounds like a good Thanksgiving to me. Happy Turkey Day!

Bekki Lynn said...

Thanks, Kaye and Linda.

Have a fantastic holiday, yourselves!

Savanna Kougar said...

Bekki, gorgeous feel-good post from your heart. Thank you!
I wish my family was as close as yours. But, not to be.
I make something similar to your 'Fluff', but use vanilla ice cream or whipping cream.
And, I totally agree about the Sage Stuffing... no bread. Actually, I've used brown rice, at times. Turns out delish!

Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
I know you will.

Bekki Lynn said...

Thanks, Savanna.

I've never used rice for stuffing, but I have used it in meatloaf instead of oatmeal. I just might try that for something different, too.

Savanna Kougar said...

Hey Bekki, I've only used brown rice because of its nutty flavor. I've never tried white rice.

Jane Richardson said...

Wonderful. :) Wishing you and yours the most lovely Thanksgiving, Bekki. Have a wonderful day.

Jane x

Serena Shay said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Bekki!