CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Characters run the show


I know that for most authors who I have talked with it seems characters take on a life of their own. In the story once they are created they begin to dictate to the author what they want to do, and can sometimes make it difficult for the author to do anything but. I know it will sound crazy to those who have not experienced this but I believe it is overwhelmingly true for authors.


Characters run the show. They are created by the author to be real and alive within the story with emotions pasts fears and opinions. I imagine that if you are not an author and have never experienced this perhaps you can remember a time when you were reading a book and it seemed that the character did something that you felt was completely out of character.


This shows that the character is real enough to have its own, not only what the author is writing but its own life and ideals. It is a very interesting thing for me, something that makes the writing process even more enjoyable and a good book even more interesting. If I can't imagine that the character is real, then I don't feel it was written well. It needs that depth to catch the attention and belief of the reader, to draw them into the story firsthand.


Well one of my characters has taken this "life" a bit farther. She has jumped out of the book and into the world of the Internet. It is a fun experience for me to watch this character living a virtual life of her own and I hope that it is enjoyable for those she interacts with on her blog and twitter. For me its more than a role play persona because she won't do anything that is out of character for what i have given her in my soon to be released book "Blood Visions."
My character is Zyra, a Vampire who lives in Oregon with her Werewolf mate. She is part of my series that is coming, The Immortal Council series. She is a very fun and interesting girl. If you are interested in finding out more about her check her twitter account. ww.twitter.com/ZyraZyra


I would love to hear what others think about this subject.

6 comments:

Tamara Hightower said...

I can relate to everything you said, and I never understood it until it happened to me. I think it's wonderful to experience things from our characters point of view because it makes the character more believable. But of course, looks whose talking, right?

Lindsay Townsend said...

I think it's wonderful, Courtney, and very special, that your characters are now so 'alive'!

Fascinating post!

Savanna Kougar said...

Hi Courtney, so true about our characters.
I read Zyra's blog about herself and got to know her a bit.

Certainly, my own heroines and heroes continue to live beyond the pages, and continue to tell their stories.
Probably Volcano gets the most time.

AuthorCourtney said...

Thanks ladies, glad you liked the post, and agree :) I can't wait to see what my characters do next.

Unknown said...

Lol, yeah, my characters have minds of their own. And they've decided to join the blogosphere as well (www.indarknesswedwell.com).

I really get along well with a few of my characters, too.

Lol, writer's always sound nutty when they talk about their characters and muses talking to them.

AuthorCourtney said...

Honoria- Its true, people think your nuts if they aren't a writer too, it must be why writers get along so well together.