CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, December 28, 2009

Holiday Traditions: Sheets


As the festive end of the year approaches, we celebrate with our Christmas traditions: food, decorations, lights.

I put the best sheets on the bed.

For most of the year, my husband and I sleep on our old, much-washed white cotton sheets with the blue scallop trim. But when the year winds down, I break out the fancy sheets.

Christmas begins in October, with the pink set and the red set. My favorite color is hot pink, and when I saw sheets that color, I had to buy them. I had never slept on colored sheets before, so, when the red sheets went on sale, I bought them, too.

I alternate the red and pink sheets until Thanksgiving. Then the three sets of lace-trimmed and embroidered sheets emerge from the linen closet. Compared to these 200-to-300 thread per inch cotton sheets, my soft, most-of-the-year sheets scratch like sandpaper.

The week before Christmas belongs to the satin sheets. Satin sheets may sound like the height of luxury, but they're very slippery. The only way to prevent the bottom sheet from falling off the bed is to anchor it with garters. But no matter how often I tuck everything in, the top sheet still slides off, dragging itself and the quilt to the floor. And last, but not least, the fabric is so delicate we have to wear socks to bed so our toenails don't destroy the material.

I save the best sheets for Christmas and New Year's. For Christmas week, I put on the silk sheets. The material is soft, but thin--the cloth equivalent of tissue paper. They don't slide as much as the satin sheets, but we still have to wear our socks to protect the delicate fabric.

We usher in New Year's with the white 52% cotton/48% silk jacquard print sheets. These sheets are sturdier than the all-silk ones, but the year ends, as it begins, with us wearing our socks to protect the bedding.

Alas, all holidays come to an end, and the week after New Year's, I store the fancy sheets away.

Except for the pink and red sheets. I'll use them again in February. Pink and red are Valentine's Day colors.

Thank you all,
Linda

Linda Banche
Regency romance--most with humor, some with fantasy, and occasionally a paranormal
Lady of the Stars
--4 stars from Romantic Times, 2010 EPIC EBook Competition finalist, Regency time travel available from The Wild Rose Press
Pumpkinnapper
--Regency Halloween comedy available from The Wild Rose Press
Website Blog Myspace Facebook Twitter

6 comments:

Savanna Kougar said...

Hmmm... I never thought of using sheets that way.
Silk sheets, oh, I wish!!! I love the feel of real silk... nothing like it.
Or the high thread count sheets would be great too. I've been thinking of purchasing organic cotton sheets and bedding... if only...
Yep, definitely red and pink sheets for Valentine's day.

Linda Banche said...

Hi Savanna. LOL, we all have out uses for sheets. Go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and look for sheets. They send me a 20% off coupon every few weeks. That's how I bought the silk ones. (BB&B isn't paying me to say that!)

Lindsay Townsend said...

What a superb way to celebrate Christmas and the run up to Xmas, Linda!

Sounds blissful to me.

Silk sheets... I'm already in a delicious dream!

I agree about organic cotton, too, Savanna. Yum.

Linda Banche said...

Hi Lindsay. Yes, we all have our traditions. Who says sheets can't be a tradition? Happy New Year.

Bekki Lynn said...

Linda -- that's very unique. I love it! I would have never thought of using sheets as a tradition factor for the holidays.

My bit of holiday decor for the bedroom comes in the form of bears in costumes for Halloween, Valentines Day and Christmas. Even spring with the bumble bee and lady bug costumes.

Linda Banche said...

Hi Bekki,

Traditions come in all shapes and sizes. Costumes for your bears sounds like fun. Happy New Years!